Maneuvers Help

by Zilias

Back to Combat Guide.

Zilias2012-02-09 06:55:45
Ok, so I am a PureBlade and I am wanting to learn to optimize maneuvers and having a bit of trouble with a few things.

I created a maneuver called TEST, it goes as follows.

-----
maneuver develop action TEST strike

maneuver develop wounds TEST amputatearm
-----

I execute this by: maneuver perform TEST larm

My problem is that STRIKES are targetted jabs and in order to execute this I need to use swings. I tried to do the following to narrow down the possible areas that can be hit:

----
maneuver develop action TEST slice
----

However, my problem is that it wont let me specify SLICE LEFT or SLICE RIGHT in the maneuver action....

Is there a way to target specific limbs? If I try it as is it says I need to specify a body part but SLICE should already be preset to target three bodyparts...

What is going on?

Also, any decent Pureblade maneuvers or Axelord maneuvers are welcomed.

Thanks for the help!!
Raeri2012-02-09 07:01:02
Zilias:

Ok, so I am a PureBlade and I am wanting to learn to optimize maneuvers and having a bit of trouble with a few things.

I created a maneuver called TEST, it goes as follows.

-----
maneuver develop action TEST strike

maneuver develop wounds TEST amputatearm
-----

I execute this by: maneuver perform TEST larm

My problem is that STRIKES are targetted jabs and in order to execute this I need to use swings. I tried to do the following to narrow down the possible areas that can be hit:

----
maneuver develop action TEST slice
----

However, my problem is that it wont let me specify SLICE LEFT or SLICE RIGHT in the maneuver action....

Is there a way to target specific limbs? If I try it as is it says I need to specify a body part but SLICE should already be preset to target three bodyparts...

What is going on?

Also, any decent Pureblade maneuvers or Axelord maneuvers are welcomed.

Thanks for the help!!

from the AB

MANEUVER PERFORM

you put the 'left' in the 'input' section

EDIT: to clarify, you do MANEUVER DEVELOP ACTION TEST SLICE, then MANEUVER PERFORM TEST LEFT/RIGHT
EDITEDIT: Damnit I was close! What Loth said one post down :( It's been a while!
Lothringen2012-02-09 07:21:21
Close, but: MANEUVER PERFORM TEST !

Swings are weird like that. It's HACK DOWN LOTHRINGEN, as opposed to HACK LOTHRINGEN DOWN, if it makes more sense that way - since the attack is "HACK DOWN", they have to be together!

I don't use any maneuvers as a Pureblade, there aren't many scenarios where you'd want the lower affliction in favour of the higher. You could have tendon/assault tendon maneuvers if you want to make sure you hit the prone (amputate doesn't prone).
Unknown2012-02-09 15:58:19
The only other, quite specialized, scenario where a PB has cause to use a maneuver-

Maneuvering out disembowel so you can land ruptured stomach on gut. The reasons for this are either deciding to go for hunger attrtion for whatever reason, or trying to stack the two regen cures on top of one another when the gut is already at critical.

Both are generally more difficult kill approaches than the more typical stuff however.
Zilias2012-02-09 17:16:38
Awesome. I realize that maneuvers are not really all that great or useful but I still want to know how to create them properly in the case I want one.

Any thoughts on useful ones for Axelord?
Xenthos2012-02-12 03:16:43
The main thing to consider when creating a maneuver for an action type is:
How would I type this command out in order to execute it?

You then need to set up the command string in the same manner so that the maneuver 'resolves' into the same format. The 'maneuver perform *maneuvername*' becomes the attack type of the maneuver (hack, slice, strike), and the rest of the string for performing it needs to be correct.

That's a little more reasoning for Lothringen's answer.
Zilias2012-02-15 16:52:14
Ok, that all makes more sense and works. Now I am curious. I have been sparring in the Arena and I have a katana with max speed, min damage and the rest into precision. The runes on it are 2 Level two wounding, 2 level 2 stat and 2 bleeding runes.

The reason i wanted to use maneuvers is because I can rack up heavy and critical wounds very quickly and wanted to remove the ability to land a lower affliction in favor of a better one that requires higher wounds. So instead of just cutting arm tendons and nerves, I want to take the arm home with me...

Is this improper use of maneuvers or am I misunderstanding them?
Unknown2012-02-15 17:33:39
Maneuvers were designed primarily for the opposite, though using them this way may increase your chances of the higher affliction just a little. The original problem, to which maneuvers were the solution, was that you would land a higher affliction when you wanted a lower one instead.
Zilias2012-02-15 20:00:08
OooooOOOoooOOoohhhhh....yeah, that make sense and I seem to remember that being the case..

Thanks!
Svana2012-02-16 16:31:33
On the topic of axelord maneuvers, I've only ever really found a knockdown maneuver to be useful.

Axelord, in its current state, is extremely wonky with a lot of kill opportunities, but there really isn't a good way to go about any specific one. Comparing it to Pureblade - kneecaps are less useful than tendons because kneecaps do not prone and broken arms are less useful than collapse nerves, so there really isn't a good reason to make a maneuver for any of it.

If for some crazy reason you decide to go Axelord, your bread and butter (Stale bread, runny butter) will be ringing ear(with dulak), severed spine, amputates and slit/greenlocks.

I've had some limited success with pairing a knockdown maneuver with cleanse illusions (figments) recently, but it's more tinker than practice.